A storm damage survey conducted by the National Weather Service confirmed that six tornadoes touched down in or near the Wichita area Wednesday night. Fortunately, none of the tornadoes stayed on the ground for long, and all of the them were weak EF0s.
The tornadoes and their locations:
* 7 miles west of Derby, Sedgwick County
* 6 miles east of Clearwater, Sedgwick County
* 1 mile east of Mulvane, Sumner County
* 2 miles north-northwest of Severy, Greenwood County
* 8 miles north of Winfield, Cowley County
* 3 miles northwest of Burden, Cowley County
Strong winds were also associated with the storm. Meteorologists said the strongest winds appeared to come from the storm’s rear-flank downdrafts. Multiple locations reported winds in excess of 70 miles an hour.
* 80 MPH (estimated) in Winfield, Cowley County
* 76 MPH (measured) in Mulvane, Sumner County
* 72 MPH (measured) in Cherryvale, Montgomery County
* 70 MPH (estimated) in Fredonia, Wilson County