The Thunder have an appropriate opponent for the first season-opening home game in Intrust Bank Arena: The Tulsa Oilers will visit on Oct. 16. Both teams struggled last season (the Thunder was 9-50-5, Tulsa 28-29-7), but they are original CHL franchises and fierce rivals. In addition to the worthy opponent, the night will also include a ceremony to retire the No. 11 jersey of Jason Duda. Some tidbits:
- The Thunder has lost three straight home openers, last season to Amarillo and the previous two to Oklahoma City.
- The Thunder was outscored 15-2 in those losses.
- The Thunder’s last home-opening victory came against … the Tulsa Oilers. The score was 4-2 in 2006. Bonus points if you can recall who scored the game-winning goal. It was Daniel Tetrault, the defenseman who is returning to the Thunder after a two-year absence. Tetrault had a goal and two assists in the game.
- Last season, the Thunder went 3-6-1 against the Oilers
- The rest of the schedule is expected to be announced on Friday.