Wichita State plays its final non-conference game today as one of eight unbeaten teams. Should the Shockers get to 13-0, they will join a select group of teams unbeaten on New Year’s Day.
Mike Kern of the Missouri Valley Conference dug up this information:
- In the previous 19 seasons, 114 teams remained perfect on Jan. 1
- 90 of those teams made the NCAA Tournament.
- 52 made the Sweet 16.
- 17 reached the Final Four.
- Five won the national title.
- 33 of the teams perfect on Jan. 1 won 30 or more games.
- Georgetown in 2003-04 finished 13-15, the only team of that group to finish with a losing record.
- Five MVC teams have been perfect on Jan. 1 in the past 19 seasons – Missouri State (twice), WSU, Illinois State and Creighton. The 2004-05 Shockers reached Jan. 3 unbeaten (9-0) before losing to Manhattan.
WSU’s Nick Wiggins hopes a trip home can help him find his shooting touch.