Nominations for the Shocker Sports Hall of Fame are due by Saturday to Larry Rankin at WSU’s media relations office. As always, there are plenty of athletes with HOF potential to consider. Athletes enrolled by the fall of 2003 are eligible.
The biggest name to become eligible is volleyball player Sara Lungren (2003-07), who seems to own a strong case. Lungren is an honorable mention All-American (2007) and a two-time MVC Player of the Year (2006, 2007).
- Several other volleyball players are eligible. Karen Augspurger, Elizabeth Meyers and Darci Vohs among those who merit a look.
- Men’s basketball player Jason Perez remains the highest ranking member (No. 6) of WSU’s career scoring list not in the SSHOF.
- Men’s basketball player Bob Elmore remains Bob Lutz’s top choice.
- With pitcher Mike Pelfrey in last year, baseball might be in for a drought. Conor Gillaspie, not yet eligible, is the next player I would regard as an automatic selection. There are some big names – Koyie Hill, Todd Dreifort, Blake Blasi, Drew Moffitt among them – not inducted. While all can make a case, none of them own credentials that make them slam dunks. With Gillaspie (eligible in three years) comes pitchers Rob Musgrave and Aaron Shafer, both worthy candidates.
- Paul Miller, the 2006 MVC Player of the Year, remains eligible. No men’s basketball player has been selected since Kelly Pete in 2007. Randy Burns and Jamar Howard also eligible.