Wichita State goes for its sixth straight win tonight, which is notable. It’s more notable because of the way the Shockers are winning. All five of the previous wins are by double digits, which puts that streak into rare – but not as rare as you might think – company at WSU.
Shocker five-game (or more) win streaks, all by 10 points (or more) since joining the MVC in 1945:
- 8 – 1980-81: The closest margin was 19 as the Shockers loaded up on breathers such as Abilene Christian and Denver.
- 7 – 1963-64: Dave Stallworth and crew built what is likely the most impressive win streak in Shockers history. It included double-digit wins over over nationally ranked Oklahoma City and St. Louis (both on the road) and four MVC wins. Only one of the seven wins came at home. The double-digit streak ended with a four-point win at Loyola-Chicago. The win streak continued for four more games, including victories over Cincinnati and Marquette and a second win over defending NCAA champion Loyola-Chicago. When old-timers bemoan the loss of Ernie Moore for the 1964 NCAA Tournament, this is why.
- 7 – 1953-54: Coach Ralph Miller’s third team won 14 straight on its way to a 27-4 record and the NIT. The first seven (and the last four) came by double digits against the likes of Portland, Washburn, Emporia State and Creighton. The double-digit portion ended with a six-point win over St. Bonaventure.
- 6 – 1981-82: A 6-0 start to the season included double-digit wins over Cincinnati, Long Beach State and No. 9 Alabama-Birmingham. The double-digit streak ended with a nine-point win at Detroit. The win streak reached eight until losing to North Carolina State in Hawaii.
- 5 – 2003-04: Coach Mark Turgeon’s team put on an impressive run of MVC wins, including at Drake, Illinois State and Indiana State.
- 5 – 1978-79: Coach Gene Smithson’s first team beat up on South Dakota, Texas-Arlington and MVC foe West Texas State.
- 5 – 1960-61: MVC wins over No. 13 Drake, Tulsa, North Texas State and Tulsa, plus a home win over Oklahoma City.
- 5 – 2009-10: The current streak includes a win over Iowa and at Cleveland State. This streak will mean more if it reaches eight.
Around the Valley
- UMKC is feeling good entering tonight’s game against WSU.
- Speaking of double-digit margins, UNI handles Iowa on a snowy night (is there any other kind?) in Cedar Falls.
- Drake is not part of the party so far this season for MVC schools.
- Missouri State’s Adam Leonard is one of the MVC’s best outside shooters.
- Evansville loses at Western Kentucky. Aces freshman Colt Ryan continues to score.
Around the Big 12/MWC
- No. 23 Texas Tech is 9-0 after winning at TCU on Tuesday. WSU plays TCU on Saturday and Texas Tech on Dec. 19.