Hey, everybody. I’m watching the Royals-Detroit game out of the corner of my eye. Why do these home broadcasters feel such a need to sell a bill of goods for their team? It’s kind of pathetic.
OK, got that off my chest. It’s not just the Royals broadcasters, although they do a bang-up job for a team that hasn’t made the postseason in 29 years. Just call the games. We’re smart enough to figure out what’s real and what’s not real.
OK, got that off my chest Part II.
Now for some Wednesday lists:
10 outstanding baseball play-by-play announcers
1. Jack Buck (I loved the man)
2. Duane Kuiper (listen to him on a Giants broadcast)
3. Denny Matthews (he does not get involved in the Kansas City hyperbole, much to his credit)
4. Bob Costas
5. Al Michaels (can do everything)
6. Skip Carey (funny, bright, knowledgeable. Sad he’s gone)
7. Vin Scully (amazing longevity and style)
8. Joe Buck (not his dad, but in the same ballpark)
9. Dan Shulman (very good on the ESPN Sunday night broadcast in place of Jon Miller)
10. Jon Miller (very good on the ESPN Sunday night broadcast preceding Dan Shulman)
Five (of many) things I love about League 42
1. Being around these kids, who are so funny and smart and appreciative
2. Getting to know their parents
3. Spending time with the volunteers who make League 42 go. I’ve met a bunch of new people and gotten to know people I knew just a little much better. It’s a great group.
4. My wife being involved. She’s such a trooper and is as committed as anyone.
5. Getting to coach again with my friend, Randy Smith. We’re taking a group of T-Ballers on; our first practice is Saturday.
Five songs I like by George Strait (remember, he’s at Intrust Bank Arena on Friday night)
1. Amarillo by Morning
2. Write This Down
3. All My Ex’s Live in Texas
4. I Saw God Today
5. Ocean Front Property
10 movies I’m looking forward to the rest of this year
1. Get On Up, Aug. 1 – Chadwick Boseman, who played Jackie Robinson in 42, plays another icon in this movie. James Brown.
2. Hercules, July 25 – Dwayne Johnson, The Rock, is Hercules.
3. Jersey Boys, June 20 – Love the play. Gotta think I’ll love Christopher Walken in the movie cast.
4. Edge of Tomorrow, June 6 – Tom Cruise in a futuristic thriller, which is about all Cruise does these days.
5. Jupiter Ascending, July 18 – I assume we’re all drawn to movies with “Jupiter” in the title.
6. Interstellar, Nov. 7 – Lots of buzz, which makes sense with Matthew McConaughey and Jessica Chastain in the cast and Christopher Nolan directing.
7. Maleficent, May 30 – An evil Angelina Jolie? Yes, please.
8. Foxcatcher, TBD – Bennett Miller directs Channing Tatum, Mark Ruffalo and Steve Carrell.
9. Unbroken, Dec. 25 – A less-evil Angelina Jolie directs.
10. Gone Girl, Oct. 3 – Ben Affleck stars, David Fincher directs.
Five reasons I watch Wrestlemania
1. It provides for a fun gathering of family and friends.
2. I have always enjoyed professional wrestling, from the time I was a kid and went to Century II to see matches. I recall going even earlier to some armory near downtown, but I don’t remember where exactly or what it was called.
3. My son writes a wrestling blog for prowrestling.net.
4. The Undertaker’s 21-match winning streak, which is on the line against Brock Lesnar.
5. The Wyatt Family.
6. (bonus) Yes, I know wrestling is fake. Stop wondering. It’s fun, though, most of the time. Sometimes it’s boring. OK?