I normally get to the lists blog on Wednesdays. Sorry for being a bit late. I blame Doug Gottlieb.
Five sports figures who give great interviews.
1. Bill Self, Kansas basketball coach. He has an answer for everything. And not just an answer, a great
answer. I have never seen him downgrade an interviewer’s question. First class all the way).
2. Brent Kemnitz, Wichita State pitching coach. Another guy who gives thoughtful, entertaining answers to all questions.
3. Gregg Marshall, Wichita State basketball coach. Thoughtful, entertaining, insightful. But not every question is treated equally.
4. Bill Snyder, Kansas State football coach. Not every interview with Snyder is great. Or even good. He sometimes isn’t interested in saying much. But when he is, he can be glib and disarming. Those are the interviews you wait for and more often than not they come after a loss. So there have been times when you have to wait a long time.
5. Chris Lamb, Wichita State volleyball coach. Lamb speaks in technicalities. Sometimes it’s impossible to comprehend what he’s talking about. But it’s fascinating to interview someone with such passion about a sport that isn’t as mainstream as some of the others. Interesting guy.
Top 5 quick meals
1. Hamburger Helper. Had it just last night, in fact. Cheesy Macaroni.
2. Chicken fried rice from the Great Wall. So good that I don’t even mind the onions. And normally I mind onions.
3. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich. This goes way back to my youth. It was my regular lunch. I used to go with grape jelly, but now it’s strawberry jam.
4. Turkey and cheese sandwiches. A great fallback that we fall back to many evenings.
5. A bowl of Honey Chex cereal. You pour it out of the box, add a little milk and there it is. Doesn’t get easier.
Five radio gods I see daily
1. Jack Oliver, KEYN
2. Steve McIntosh, KNSS
3. Dancin’ Don Hall, KEYN
4. Teddy Woodward, KNSS
5. Tommy Thurber, Sports Daily board operator who is leaving our show after Friday’s show. I have spent two hours every weekday morning for 10 years with Tommy and while we have had our battles, I’ve come to really like this guy. We’re very different people. Very different. But we’ve forged a relationship and it will be strange to walk in here next Monday and work without him being around. My best to Tommy, who is cutting back a bit to enjoy his life, which includes a full-time job. Remember, now, he’s left radio two times previously, only to return. So the door is never shut. But I hope Tommy enjoys the time he’ll have free now. Good guy.
Five all-time favorite Kansas City Royals
1. Hal McRae
2. Frank White
3. Dennis Leonard
4. Darrell Porter
5. Dan Quisenberry
(No George Brett? I know that must have Royals fans up in arms. Sorry, never cared for the guy.)
Top 5 Beatles songs
1. In My Life
2. She Loves You
3. I’ll Cry Instead (it’s a great karaoke tune)
4. Here Comes the Sun
5. Eleanor Rigby
Five favorite Tom Hanks movies
1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Forrest Gump
3. Cast Away
4. Sleepless in Seattle
Thanks for reading. Always appreciated.