Here are five things to keep an eye on today when Baylor takes on Kansas State at 2:30 p.m. at Bill Snyder Family Stadium:
1. Robert Griffin III. It’s not often a white-hot quarterback comes to Manhattan, so enjoy watching this guy. Griffin, a Heisman Trophy contender, is off to a ridiculous start. Baylor is 3-0, ranked 15th nationally and he has thrown 13 touchdown passes compared to 12 interceptions. Craziest stat you’ve seen in a while, right?
2. Arthur Brown. We’ve already seen the drastic difference he has made on K-State’s defense, but today we will REALLY get to see it. A year ago, Griffin and Baylor’s offense chewed up K-State for 683 total yards and 47 points. The Bears put on a clinic. Despite all that, the Bears only won by five points. With Brown leading the way at linebacker, the Wildcats are a totally different group. How much less yardage will they allow today?
3. John Hubert. The sophomore running back is coming off a breakout game. Now we find out what he has in store for an encore. Last week’s 166-yard effort at Miami was impressive. Today he will take on his home-town college. Growing up in Waco, he always wanted to play for a Big 12 school, and accepted a scholarship from K-State the day it offered. There will be extra emotions for him today. Will that help or hurt his performance?
4. Tight ends. Bill Snyder surprised everyone by using his tight ends so much at Miami. Andre McDonald was targeted twice in the first half, and he reeled off a nifty catch-and-run that no one was expecting. In the second half Collin Klein hit Travis Tannahill with a jump pass in the end zone. Will they remain involved today?
5. Nigel Malone and David Garrett. Together, K-State’s top two cornerbacks have managed to intercept at least one pass in all three games. Their play has been a major boost to the Wildcats’ defense. But they did drop off a little in the second half at Miami. Malone was beat badly on a touchdown pass, and he committed a pass-interference penalty that set up the Hurricanes with a first-and-goal late. They will need to play strong throughout today with one of the nation’s top quarterbacks throwing the ball.
Prediction: Kansas State 33, Baylor 30.