But I’m back, kids.
So much happened during the past week, and the odd thing is, I’m not going to touch on most of it. I’m trying to advance news, not re-hash it, but exceptions have to be made.
Here’s what I have, which admittedly, isn’t much. But I’m back, kids. I’m back.
- James Franklin is out recruiting today in Wichita on behalf of Kansas State. Surprised? Don’t answer that. As of last night, he was supposed to be visiting Chris Harper and family and Franklin was hoping to get something lined up with the Browns as well.
- Because his cell phone isn’t accepting incoming calls, I couldn’t speak with Dominique Sutton, who is at Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass. He’s there with Jamar Samuels, who is awaiting his ACT scores. Here’s the word on both players, according to Samuels, who was able to answer his phone: “I haven’t gotten my grades back yet. Coach (Dalonte) Hill is checking on that… Online, I think. But I know Dominique finished his English (requirements), and he’ll be up there (Manhattan) Dec. 10. There is a graduation ceremony and all that before then.”
- Samuels has been watching his future teammates on television recently, and this was his take: “A good team, but we could use more transition defense and rebounding. But I like it. It’s a really nice team.”
- Here’s a theory on what has happened in Manhattan offered by “someone with knowledge of the situation,” which is a nice way of saying someone who doesn’t want to be identified: When coaches coach through fear tactics, it works when the team is winning. But when things go badly, the message starts to lose its sting. Players start looking around and wondering whether the alternative – not playing – is so bad, and suddenly, the coach can’t use fear – in this case, being kicked off the team or benched – as motivation. “If kids like you and respect you, they will run through a wall for you,” this person said. Works the same with assistant coaches, too. Not saying that’s the case here, but it’s worth mulling over.
- I have calls into Brodrick Smith, who has reportedly narrowed his choices to Arizona and Minnesota, and Sutton. Samuels said he would call when he heard back from Hill, who is checking on his ACT scores. Might have more info later…