Steven brothers and VinZant settle lawsuit over Mike’s Wine Dive

UPDATED — Brad and Brent Steven are now the sole owners of Mike’s Wine Dive.

Earlier this month, Have You Heard? reported that the brothers sued longtime friend and Mike’s co-founder Whitney VinZant and several other people associated with the almost 2-year-old business near Douglas and Oliver.

“We all agree that the restaurant doesn’t work with all these cooks in the kitchen, so to speak, so we need to part ways,” Brad Steven said at the time. “Either he takes full ownership or we take full ownership, and the lawsuit is to figure that out.”

The parties reached an agreement today.

“We’ve resolved it amicably,” says Joe Cassell, the Stevens’ lawyer and stepfather.

There were differences in how the brothers and VinZant wanted to run the College Hill restaurant, and there were disputes over who owned how much of the business.

The brothers have been gone from the restaurant for several weeks but are now back.

“We’re taking over the company,” Cassell says. “One hundred percent of it.”

 

Shanannigans owner files Chapter 11

WICHITA — Shanannigans owner Dean Bratt has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy with debts of more than $1.3 million, but he says it won’t affect his business.

“Shanannigans is doing just fine,” Bratt says of the bar and restaurant at 1014 N. West St.

He says Shanannigans has two-thirds of its business back after losing it due to construction along West Street.

“This club went to nothing because of West Street,” he says. “That’s all there was to it.”

Bratt made that complaint earlier this year, too.

“You can’t stop the flow of northbound traffic . . . and not have it affect everybody on West Street,” he says. “It’s what we all dealt with for over a year now.”

He says now that lanes have reopened due to less construction, things are improving.

Read More »

Eaton Steakhouse contents will be auctioned today, but who will profit?

WICHITA — A Sedgwick County District Court judge on Tuesday lifted a restraining order that was issued Monday to prevent the former owners of Eaton Steakhouse from selling the contents of the restaurant in a planned auction today.

Bud Palmer Auction can now proceed with the 9:30 a.m. sale. But part of the proceeds from the sale won’t necessarily go to former Eaton Steakhouse owners Steve and Stephanie Compton and Thomas Bowles.

“Sale proceeds will be placed with the court,” says Mike Roach, an attorney for MDI Partnership #72, which owns Eaton Place. “There will be a trial at a later date.”

MDI alleges that the Comptons and Bowles, upon their exit from Eaton Place when the restaurant closed in October, caused damage and took items not belonging to them in excess of $50,000.

Read More »