TOPEKA – Thirteen people, all either judges or lawyers, submitted their names to fill the state Supreme Court vacancy created when former Chief Justice Robert E. Davis retired.
The Supreme Court Nominating Commission will interview the applicants Sept. 27 and 28. then submit three names to the governor. Gov. Mark Parkinson, a Democrat, will then make his pick from the three names.
- Karen Arnold-Burger, judge, Overland Park
- Michael B. Buser, judge, Overland Park
- Nancy L. Caplinger, judge, Topeka
- Jeffery L. Carmichael, lawyer, Valley Center
- Robert J. Frederick, judge, Lakin
- Cynthia F. Grimes, lawyer, Lawrence
- Jeffry L. Jack, judge, Parsons
- Donald D. Jarrett, lawyer, Leawood
- Thomas E. Malone, judge, Topeka
- Robb W. Rumsey, judge, Wichita
- Kim R. Schroeder, judge, Hugoton
- Steven P. Smith, lawyer, Wichita
- Merlin G. Wheeler, judge, Emporia