River City Brewing Co., Wichita’s original brewery at 150 N. Mosley in Old Town, recently has revamped its menu a bit, adding a long list of dishes that focus on using beer as an ingredient in the cooking. The new menu rolled out on Monday.
Owner Chris Arnold sent me the descriptions of some of the new dishes, which made me pretty hungry. Among them:
–Shrimp salad made with shrimp that’s been marinated and cooked in wheat beer and chipotles with fresh greens, avocado, tomato, cucumber, peppers and queso fresco.
– Bone-in pork chop grilled and topped with Brown Ale mustard cream sauce alongside roasted baby potatoes and fresh veggies.
– Fish tacos filled with tilapia marinated in herbs and Amber Ale with fresh lettuce, avocado relish, queso fresco and a sauce of chipotles and beer on corn or flour tortillas.
– Herb marinated chicken breast marinated in wheat beer and spices then grilled and served with roasted baby potatoes and veggies.
– Beer brat pizza featuring a beer crust topped with ale mustard sauce, thinly sliced beer brats, beer braised onions, red peppers and mozzarella cheese.
– Beer cheese steak sandwich made with sliced beef topped with onions, peppers and mushrooms then slathered in homemade beer cheese sauce.
– Stout Brownie dessert composed of a chocolate brownie made with Emerald City Stout and topped with chocolate ganache, salty pretzels and a big scoop of homemade vanilla stout ice-cream and caramel sauce.
Arnold also told me about a stout float, which he makes by pouring vanilla stout beer over a serving of the stout ice cream. As someone who’s been experimenting with wine floats for years, I approve of that idea heartily.
River City Brewing Co. is open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays, 11 a.m. to midnight Wednesdays and Thursdays, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays and noon to 10 p.m. Sundays. For more information, call 316-263-2739.