The return of Stroud’s and its family style fried chicken dinners is still about three weeks away, general manager Kevin Allis said this morning.
The restaurant at 3661 N. Hillside had its kitchen damaged in a fire last week, and it has been closed ever since.
The staff is now cleaning up and assessing the damage, which Allis said could have been much worse.
“When we got in there and saw the daylight on it, it really wasn’t that bad,” he said.
The big question is whether the kitchen’s custom hood was too damaged to be repaired. If it wasn’t, Stroud’s should be able to reopen the first week of August. If it was, it’s going to be longer because the hood must be custom-made, Allis said.
When the fire broke out at about 10:15 p.m. on Wednesday, Allis said, he was at home. He got an alert that a burglar alarm was going off and headed for the restaurant. On the way, he started getting multiple text messages telling him that Stroud’s was on fire. Apparently, the burglar alarm sounded when fireman broke in the door to battle the blaze, he said. It took firefighters more than two hours to get the fire out.
Initially, it was thought that an employee had left a burner on, but Allis said all the burners were turned to the “off” position. He suspects a pilot light malfunction.
Stay tuned for information about Stroud’s reopening. You also can follow along on the Stroud’s Facebook page, where Allis is posting pictures and updates.