Construction of a new $4 million airport in Stockton, in northwest Kansas, is getting started.
Rooks County Commissioners and the Rooks County Airport Commission will hold a ground-breaking ceremony Friday.
The Rooks County Regional Airport will retire two turf runway airports in Stockton and Plainville. The new airport will have a 5,000-foot concrete runway, a terminal area and parking apron.
It’s the first all new construction of an airport in Kansas in more than 10 years, airport officials said.
“The new Rooks County Regional Airport opens our communities to many new opportunities for business and recreational opportunities,” Rooks County Commission chairman Robert Schamel said in a statement.
The airport will be paid for through a grant by the Federal Aviation Administration’s Airport Improvement Fund. The grant covers 95 percent of the project’s cost with the county matching the remaining 5 percent.